Tuesday, March 3, 2009

He asked for it.

Glenn requested to see something wide; something to see where we are [in Tahoe]. I thought at the same time that I'd like to test the iPhone's panoramic capabilities. I think you'll be impressed.


Stepped off the back porch for this one. It's snowing more and more here in Tahoe, and it might keep us here longer than expected.

Today was a great day. We went to Northstar, and although it was a bit wet today, we had a ton of fun. We hit up the famous Northstar stash, and if I say anything more about it I could ruin it, so you'll have to discover it yourself if you're lucky enough. Hands down the greatest rhythm I've ever felt, even more than Elvis, the Beegees or Marvin Gaye.

We got home and dried off and watched a movie, recovered from the awe of Northstar and thoughts of our next Tahoe trip bounced back and forth through our minds.

On a lot of internet browsing in my off time I've learned a tweak or two with lighting. Tonight I tried getting some more flash-style light with a softer dispursement. Try figuring out what this is, and how I shot it. You'll be amazed.


Ok ready for the secret? Here it is. 20 second exposure to start it off. Flashlight as a light source. 31mm focal length. F/11 with an ISO at 100.

I had the tripod Gabe lent me set up shooting downward on my wide-angle filter for the 18-55 on the carpet. The texture of the carpet was cool, so I thought it would be cool to illuminate it with a flashlight, to bring a softer approach to things, rather than a harsh, blow-it-in-your-face flash. I rolled the flashlight along the carpet in a circular path around the lens filter to silouhette and then elevated the light for another pass to get the depth of the lens filter. I really like what it produced.

On a family-styled note, I remember pictures of my dad in California when he was my age; the poloroid-style, warm, California-style beach shot. Here's mine from Lake Tahoe.


Final closing note [for now at least]: No clue as to what lays ahead for our route home, but here's a self port I took at 3:20 this morning of me 'thinking' about it.


- From Tahoe with Love,
Tim

4 comments:

Glenn Landberg said...

Blow-it-in-your-face? You kill me. Looks good man. thanks for the wide guy. You better get home in time to have a brew with me or two.

Jake Donahue said...

love the wide-angle shot.... too mad you couldn't make it to San Diego for 88-degree weather on the beach! You could have taken some SWEET ASS shots of the beach... I'll show you what James got when you get back.

Anonymous said...

Love the pics and the blog. Love, your AJ

Anonymous said...

bam! it's funny how the photoshop polaroid has become trendier than the actual polaroid itself. It's sick though there's no denying that. Tahoe looks sick man.